Saturday, October 11, 2008

Choices in Life


There are always choices in whatever we do...Be it career, travelling, eating, sleeping and etc. It is a matter of making the right choices after weighing the pros and cons, that is what I call judgement call. I am the umpire of my own life!

It is all about making the right choices and that is how I feel ever since I went to study in Kelantan.....To assimilate or not with the Kelantanese people while pursuing my dreams and ambition. I know that to be able to learn effectively is by mixing around, and I am glad that I have made the right choice. It is the same situation when I went to college in KPP Shah Alam, there were not just Kelantanese enrolling in the college but also students from all over Malaysia. The diversity of the culture in Malaysia is just amazing and can be mind-boggling too! I suppose I have chosen not to click with one group only thus I diversify my social network by mixing with students from other states as well...But one thing that I notice, it is not the same with these students...The Kelantanese will flock together, the Sarawakians do the same thing....Is it about the languages that make it easier for them to communicate or is it just the scoial norm? One thing for sure, I have made my choice and I glad I did.

When I joined the workforce in 1991, I have no idea what career is all about, what matter most then is I want to work with the national carrier...MAS. Money was secondary then. I have made my choice again. I joined the IT Department as a System Analyst despite graduating in engineering field. Why? Because I have made my choice i.e. to work with MAS. As years passed by, the urge to learn more about the airline industry surpassed the needs to have more money. I made my move to the marketing area and becoming a market researcher. It provided me with a much bigger perspective about the industry and I began to appreciate more the complexity of the airline business and the diversity of ideas of the people that works in the company. I learn to compromise and incorporate my ideas in the projects that the company has embarked on. I have made my choice again.

Then, eCommerce came, not wanting to limit myself with the marketing knowledge, I took up the challenge and switched to Distribution to work in the Internet Booking Project. I have made my choice again. It is a non-stop process and I would not know how long I will stay and doing eCommerce, only time will tell.

It is the choices that I have always preached to my team members, staff and bosses....The choices that we are given by God. You also have the choices and it is all up to you to use all the experiences and intelligence that you have to make the right choice. If all avenues have been exhausted, consult your friend or mentor or parents to get a second thought BUT never make the choice just because someone say so! You are a loser at the end....SO what are you waiting for? make the choice and move on to make it happen....

No comments: