Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tribute To A Friend!

Yesterday, one of the team member that I recruited in my former Unit came to see me in my office. He informed me that he is taking the Voluntary Leave programme (VLP) which was initiated by HR in response to the economic downturn that is affecting MAS bottomline. He told me that he received an irresistable offer to work for a company in Bahrain for one year. He also told me that his last day will be on 1 November 2008.

Although he has the option to join back MAS work force after one year, I have my doubt that he will be back. Nevertheless, I am not going to talk about his decision in my entry today, but I want to reminisce about this person which is fondly known as Hilmy amongst brothers, sisters, friends and bosses.

I remembered when I first saw him at the Ticketing Office, Admin 2 where he has just been transferred from the operation unit to assist the Admin unit with Government Refund. He was a very quite person who seldom uttered a word. He was so timid and hardly ever acknowledge my presence whenever I went to visit his office. I stumbled upon him smoking at the smoking area at the back of my office and that is when we started to engage in communication.

I sense that he is an intelligent person and most importantly he has the commitment in delivering the task given to him (He used to stay overnight in the office to finish off his workloads). At the same time, one of my team member was also on the verge of getting a promotion somewhere else. hence , I thought the timing is right since I was also searching for a team member that has sound ticketing knowledge to assist the Internet Booking section with the operational issues.I offered him the post and he did not think twice of joining me in the unit. I was happy because I don't have to persuade him and immediately I initiate his transfer to Online Channel Unit.

He joined my team towards the end of 2007. As I have suspected, he was a quiet type of person and hardly talk. I swear to God that I would make him change! Day goes by and he managed to adapt to the new environment fast despite the fast phase of working style in Online Channel. He was able to assimilate with the work processes and able to understand the system that he has to use in completing his tasks.

I started to learn a lot from him with regards to human relationship (although he did not preach it directly to me), he likes to post question which I sometimes find it difficult to answer and he always tell me his thought about how he see things in life (even though through YM). What else can I describe him? He is a very adorable person that you can hardly feel upset with, he always throw you a smile despite how busy he is with workloads and he shows his undivided commitment to get things done. Most importantly, he always shows me the same respect irregardless of his feeling at that time.

To my friend, Hilmy, no matter what job that you will be doing after this, do it whole heartedly and with full sincerity. Even if it is so difficult that it makes you feel like quitting, be strong and do not give up. It will not be easier but I know you have the perseverance as demonstrated by your intention to take up the new job. May this be the platform that will lead you to many other exciting and challenging experience in life. For all the failures that you have experienced, be it in your career or love life, put it aside and learn as much as you can. For all you know, this too shall pass. I wish you luck in your future undertaking, and most importantly do not forget that you always have a shoulder to cry here in Online Channel Unit.

Adieu my friend, my brother, my teacher (sometimes).......Au revoir! I will always remember you. See you in FaceBook or YM after this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hua..hua...hua...our youngest family member gonna leave us sooon....