Friday, October 17, 2008

The Only Child Syndrome


I was having my morning smoke at the back of my office on Thursday morning when one of the Call Centre staff approached me asking about my last Raya Holiday. She were asking me if I celeberated the Raya with my siblings which I quickly explained that I am the only child in the family. I also explained that I was celebrating the Raya with my uncle and auntie only since my parents have passed away.


She was taken by surprise to learn that I am the only child in my family and quickly make a quip about my so obvious traits as a Mama's Boy. I started pondering on the statement and Thinking that it will be a good topic to write on my blog. Afterall, not everybody has the priviledge of growing up as the only child in a family.


Let me share with you the typical syndrome of the only child based on my real life experience. When, they are at young age, the only child tends to be very territorial with their belongings or to the person that they are closed with. It is just like a possession. It is the sub-conscious mind that reacts almost immediately due to the environment that they grew up in. The meaning of sharing is almost non-existence, afterall, who do they want to share them with?

They can be very bossy too due to all of the attention given. Everybody from Grandpa to Uncle will try to please you out of fear that they may be no longer become the favourite Grandpa or Uncle. So, the only child will have the audacity to run people's life which is fun.

However, it is not all negatives, actually the parents have roles to mould the only child behaviour to avoid all those mentioned above from happening. I am glad my mum did although not necessarily I can get rid 100% of those traits above. Nevertheless, one point to note, an only child normally have the highest loyalty level to the person that they love or trust as it is not easy for them to trust people.

The only child in a family also grows up to be one of the smartest kids in school due to the undivided attention from the parents. They pick up knowledge easily and they tend to be very clever to outwit you whenever they feel that they will ot get what they desire.

Some tips for parents with an only child :


  1. Stop giving your 100% attention to them especially when they are whining!

  2. Start teach them responsibility so they will learn the discipline of completing a task

  3. Send them early to pre-school so they can mix around with other kids at their tender age.

It is not hard at all to raise an only child if you have the perseverance! For those who befriend with an only child in a family, just be patience when they started to become territorial and avoid any unnecessary arguements ; that is if you value the friendship otherwise, do as you please!

No comments: