Friday, October 24, 2008

The 80's That I know


I was listening to Hot FM on my way to the office this morning and the the DJs were reminiscing the 80's with loads of songs from that era. They even get calls from the people who grew up in 80's to relate stories and memories during that period.

To me, it as an emotional journey back to the 80's listening to all the songs that I was familiar with when I was growing up as a teenager. I almost drowned in a flood of emotions as each songs took me down that memory lane. Songs like Kepulangan - Razis Ismail, Jejaka Idaman - Raja Ema, Sekadar di pinggiran - Francisca Peters....They bring back those feeling of good old days when things are less complicated and pretentious.

Well, today I wish to highlight some of the important events that happened to me through the 80's :

1980 - My mother followed step dad to further his study in London and I stayed back with my Grandpa in Tawau. I remembered sending her off at the airport and cried hysterically when my mother boarded the aircraft. I was almost 12 then, and I remember that my grandpa resorted to cook me my favourite chicken meal just to pacify me. It was a terrifying incident and I was traumatised for almost a month! End of that year, I received a scholarship from the Sabah Foundation to continue my study in Kelantan. Surprisingly, my grandpa allowed me to further my study alone in a foreign land!

1981 - I went to Kelantan in early January together with hundredths of other Sabahan students and that was the first time I took a ride on the A300 of Malaysia Airlines. I quietly promised myself that I will strive to learn harder so I can get a job with MAS. It was a tough year for a 12 year old kid having to adapt in a foreign land as well as to compete with the creme de la creme in Kelantan. Well, I come from a small town in Sabah where there are hardly any competition to me in school apart from one Chinese girl that I could not topple from the no. 1 spot. By the way, I won a silver medal for the 4 X 100m where I was the 2nd runner in the team. I forgot to tell you that I was also the finalist of the 100m final for boy below 13 and I came out 5th or 6th, blame it on the gun. I was freaking out with the gun used by the referee.

1982 - I was in form 2 and I felt a bit older as I now have juniors in form 1 and I started to have penchant over English songs. I was listening to variety types of musics and the one that I remember the most was from Scorpions - When the smoke is going down. My other colleagues were listening to mostly metal rock songs which I found to be extremely loud, rebellious and could be anti-semantic. No wonder most of my friends who listen to this type of songs always end up in the Disciplinary Teacher's room. Well, I have no issues listening to those songs except the noise produced from the music exceeded the permissible decibel level that human being can tolerate. At least I thought so!

1983 - SRP year...I aimed to get the best ever results as I was making good progress in a tough boarding school environment. It was the year where Michael Jackson becoming an so popular that everybody wear that low hanging tight pants and dual colour shoes! I was listening to Thriller, Billy Jean, Beat it, David Bowie - Let's Dance, The Police - Synchronicity, Every Breath You Take, Nena - 99 Red Balloons (one hit wonder) and lots more. Despite my interest, I obtained 8As for my SRP - 5 A1 and 3 A2. Not bad for a boy from rural area. By the way, I was elected as the School Librarian - despite not being a nerd! How elusive it was!

1984 - I decided to enrol myself in the Science Stream and started learning Chemistry, Add Maths, Biology, Physics apart from the other compulsory subjects. That was the year the school constructed a computer lab and we get our first Apple computer! Study was so so and I try to be more relax after slogging myself out in 1983 with SRP books. After all boys also wanna have fun....That year was the introductory year to music from Madonna - Like a virgin, Cyndi Lauper, Whams & George Michael - Careless Whsipers. I listen more to top of the pop and I started to develop liking towards UK's musics. My favourite group was Duran Duran, New Orders, Spandau Ballet, Kajagoogoo, Ultravox, Rick Ashley, Lionel Ritchie - Hello and many more. By the way, I was awarded with the best student for Geography in 1983 SRP. That was an achievement! Not bad! I took Bahasa Arab for SRP although I was in form four and as I have predicted, I failed the subject - what do you expect when I was the first one to get out from the exam hall after 30 minutes and wrote the essay in BM although I wrote the in Jawi!

1985 - It was the SPM year - I have to slave myself again with books and notes. The subjects are getting harder and I also have to sit in for my 1119 English, a paper from the UK. I was quite sluggish in my study and I was also fighting with my inner feelings. Having live in Kelantan for several years, that was my last year before I enter college for higher learning. I knew that my time in Kelantan will be up after the SPM examination. I was battling with my emotions - I have to leave behind friends, foster family, brothers and sisters. I listened to less number of musics as I was behind in Add Maths and Physics. Then the big day came and I tried my best. The rest I leave it to God! By the way, I did well in the trial to be called for an interview by JPA for a scholarship to further my study abroad.

5 years of memorable experiences with blood, sweat, joy and fun in Kelantan. I will never ever forget those experience as it helps to shape up my career now. I ended my episodes in kelantan and continue my journey to the college in Shah Alam. by the way, I obtained 1st Grade for my SPM - 1 A1, 1 A2, 5 C3, 1 C4, 1 C5 (I obtained P7 for my 1119, pass but not outstanding). My next entry will talk about my years in the KPP/PPP and the USA.

No comments: